Be Aware of Holiday Fires!
With cooler weather upon us your fireplace becomes more than just a central point of your home. Before you throw a log on the fire and light a match to keep your family toasty and warm, consider these 8 suggestions to keep them safe.
- Have your fireplace cleaned and inspected by a professional. There could be soot build up, cracks, or loose-fitting bricks.
- Check your fire and carbon monoxide detectors to help avoid fire and smoke damage. It is a good practice to replace the batteries every spring and fall during day light savings time.
- Ensure your chimney is topped. This keeps rain, birds, squirrels and debris from entering.
- Use kindling to start the fire instead of flammable liquids. Also be sure to burn well-seasoned wood.
- Don’t overload your fireplace. A fire that is too hot can crack your chimney, and could get out of control very quickly.
- Use a spark guard to keep any ambers from shooting out harming your floor and possibly igniting a fire.
- Have a metal container nearby to remove and store hot ash. These ambers can stay hot for a while so be sure to keep it a safe distance outside away from your home.
- Even if you had your chimney inspected, look for signs of creosote and soot accumulation. Creosote is a dark substance that can build up if wood isn’t burning completely.
No need to get the chills this winter! By following these simple tips, you can help keep your family safe until warmer temperatures return.